For the cost, a beaglebone black can do far more than any arduino platform
i know of. However, they are completely different platforms. One is meant
for embedded Llinux ( although technically the BBB does not need an OS ),
where the other ( Arduino ) has no OS at all.

Neither one is a micro-controller. The beaglebone black is a single board
computer, where the Arduino is an open source development board.

I suggest you read and learn more about the field before making up your
mind. But the Beaglebone black is far superior in every way( except perhaps
power consumption ). Not to mention they both cost about the same . . .

Anyway, I really do not know what else to say. Except that I could go on
all day about how / why I like the beaglebone black, and how I dislike the
Arduino platform in general. But I think this is something you need to
explore on your own. I have my own reasons, and perhaps my reasons mean
nothing to you.