I have used BBB, RPi, and arduino.

arduino is closer to real-time if you need that. However, it does only what
is programmed in C in a loop fashion. There is a setup() function and
loop() function.
just about everything is done in the loop. If you need tight integration
(real-time) with some piece of hardware, then arduino is the way to go.

BBB and RPi, are linux computers. BBB outclasses the RPi in the number and
kind of GPIOs, I2C, etc. RPi has no analog in/outs. BBB does.
However, I think the RPi has better HDMI capability.

Both the RPi and BBB are linux, so you get the capability to multi-task
with separate processes doing something/communicating with each other. You
can write your code in almost any language you can imagine. I prefer
python, but there are a choice of many others. With arduino you get their
version of C - thats it. But with all the greatness of linux, comes the
con: Linux is not realtime.

It really depends upon what you want to do. But you don't have to settle
for just an either/or situation either. You can do dedicated real-time
input/output with the arduino, and pass that along to the BBB to decide how
to react.

So if you can afford it, get both. You won't go wrong.

Jerry

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 4:49 PM, William Hermans <yyrk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You could also have an MSP430, Any number of Cortex M0+ ( or even M4 )
> MCU's, PIC, 8051, Paralax propeller  . . .to do some of the leg work then
> talking to a BBB. The list is only really limited to the number of MCU's
> capable of interfacing with a BBB via I2C, SPI, or UART. There are even
> some hybrids that act as sort of a USB<->SPI / I2C / UART bridge.
>
> Anyway, like what has been posted already. Need more information. As in
> you need to know what your system is going to, and even then you could
> potentially get 50 answers.
>

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM, David Funk <dwf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Some things you might not want to waste ARM resources on, and an AVR
>> based board could handle those tasks and talk to the ARM.
>>
>> I can see uses for both at the same time in a robotics project.
>>

>> -david
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Marcus Diogo <mvdiog...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> robot?
>>> just to walk and alot of sensores =arduino
>>> walk and have camera = bbb
>>> wifi ethernet = bbb or arduino
>>> like linux=bbb
>>> like c =arduino
>>> small = ardunio
>>> need mor information

>>> Hello all,

>>  --
>>

>  --

Extra Ham Operator: K7AZJ
Registered Linux User: 275424
Raspberry Pi and Arduino developer

Those who can read binary and those who can't.