Mark,

hmm thought we had the spidev example code on the wiki, but it appears that
we do not. we'll get that posted today. in the mean time, you can look at
Matt Porters presentation on using SPI display devices as a linux kernel
framebuffer:

http://elinux.org/images/1/19/Passing_Time_With_SPI_Framebuffer_Driver.pdf

the video is available here:

http://free-electrons.com/pub/video/2012/elc/elc-2012-porter-spi-framebuffer-driver-450p.webm