Jason, he was using a console testing image, and using the built in env
variables for tftp + nfs. These images came with two uEnv.txt files, and
since he was having problems with uboot env variables I'm betting he
actually had 3 uEnv.txt files.

1) fat / boot part
2) ext4 footfs on sdcard
3) ext4 rootfs on nfs share host.

uboot was probably pulling in the uEnv.txt which he was not editing. Which
again, I'm betting was on partition 2 ( ext4 ) of the sdcard. e.g. he was
editing the uEnv.txt file on the nfs share as I suggested.