Just to make things clearer, this post I'm going to link to has an image of
the BBB with J1 pins marked appropriately. The rest of the post will
probably not be of much use for you, as i made this last year as a
demonstration on how to hack an MSP430 Launchpad into acting as a "poor
mans" serial debug device.

http://forum.beaglefu.com/topic/92-msp430-launchpad-v15-serial-debug/?p=275