Thanks Jason,

 There is a hardware solution to my problem in a form of a tiny logic
08 (AND gate). The PWM is connected to one input and an extra ENABLE signal
from GPIO is connected to another input. On the output the resulting gated
PWM signal will appear when the ENABLE signal goes high from the
application.
The solution however is non-elegant and can be avoided if I had a better
knowledge of the software - in this case a PWM driver and it's interaction
with a device tree overlay.
The initial values of pins on boot is a thing to be aware of in any system.
Thinking that there are people using PWM on BBB, including the designers of
PWM capes and they are facing the same issue, there was my hope of finding
a software solution. And yes, I did a very extensive search beforehand. And
I am grateful and appreciated for the help received, and if possible I do
contribute back to community within my limits.

Cheers

Jan