thanks for your replies.
I just ordered a different USB plug, let's see if that improves things.
After tinkering so much with it, it seems the better options. In the end it
is probably cheaper spending another $14, rather than sitting hours of
hours trying to fix it. Hope the TP-LINK TL-WN722N
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SZEOLG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

will help.

I'll also try to also do what you suggest Dave, let's see if that helps
too. Have to say it is a bit annoying that such a simple problem keeps you
from using the beaglebone....