Small update, I got the TL-WN722N to work. Since yesterday evening it is
online, hope it will stay that way.

The biggest problem was that wlan0 was already taken from the old dongle,
so it now runs on wlan3.

first I followed this instructions: (not sure if I had to :))
https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k_htc

Then I had some problems that I would see wlan3 in iwconfig, but
wicd-curses would not be able to access it (added wlan3 in prefs)

I think adding wlan3 to /etc/network/interfaces did the trick for me.

thanks for all the suggestions, I think I am now happy (until the next
problem...)