Hi,

I assume this happens because those older kernels cannot cope with the
situation when the transceiver just gets a non-zero PHY address at reset.
This is solved in recent kernels by updating the device
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleboard/9mctrG26Mc8/SRlnumt0LoMJ> tree
with actual PHY address.

But, as I wrote above
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleboard/9mctrG26Mc8/PK6bxAszAkoJ>,
that issue is different from what happens when PHY is not detected even
with the latest kernel. You can see this when you set the PHY address to a
non-zero value yourself, in U-Boot, and then run "reset" command there, and
wait until the system starts. In this case everything works, even with a
non-zero address. I'm pretty sure, if you repeat this experiment with those
older kernels, PHY will not be detected.

It looks like something else happens, when PHY is not detected with new
kernels. Not only the PHY address is wrong (i.e. different from 0, set by
the strappings on the board), but the transceiver chip remains in some
strange, non-working state.

So far, the only working solution seems to be removing C24 and C30
capacitors, which is not good for a variety of reasons, as was mentioned in
some previous messages here.

Regards

Alex