On Sunday, December 7, 2014 5:24:23 PM UTC-6, Tommi wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I am using the BBB for backup (via BTSync, this also gives me some
> troubles lately, but that is a different story...). I am thinking of
> bringing the BBB to work (at a university) to get a real off-site backup.
> However, I am not sure what steps I should take in order to make sure
> nobody can access my files there. So my questions are:
>
> 1) What should I do to make sure it is secure? I think I would even be
> happy only to access it via USB and the webserver of BTsync (port 8888)
>

>  First, have ONLY one user account, and be sure ROOT can't be logged into
from the net.
Two, install  denyhosts, and set a very restrictive policy, like two failed
login attempts within
two weeks and that IP is locked out for 6 months.  I used to get 1000 login
attempts a day.
The botnets actually did a scientific probing sequence to find out what the
horizon of the
lockout was, and once they determined it remembered failed logins for a two
week window,
immediately the attempts fell off to about 2 a day!  denyhosts was the best
security
thing I ever found to deter the hackers.

Of course, shut down all unnecessary services.

Jon