On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 5:19:18 AM UTC+11, cooolf...@gmail.com
wrote:

> I really wished BBB had serial port like most boards have.

 It does, I use the console port with a RS232 converter at 115K. I have
soldered a R/A connector at the back of the board so that I can use it even
if a cape is plugged in. It's designed to use a "standard" FTDI USB > TTL
adapter.

The image I downloaded before was just a stripped down, console only,
version which booted from SD. This allowed me to recover the EMCC version
after fixing up the uEnv.txt file.

https://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2015-02-01/console/bone-debian-7.8-console-armhf-2015-02-01-2gb.img.xz

The serial port console starts spitting out stuff even before the USB COM
port does.