Yes, there is a kernel command line option that is passed to the kernel in the uEnv.txt file that says so (qemu=1, I think?). It has been a while, but I believe this is necessary to emulate the OpenGL ES calls. Otherwise, it all crashes constantly because there isn't OpenGL ES support. You can try removing that option, though, and see how it works for you. I originally added that in for the 4.2.2 JellyBean build from Rowboat, though we might get lucky and have it work without it from the 4.4.4 KitKat build from AOSP.

Andrew