Hi Chili

you are mostly right - the problem is not solely the tool - it is mostly
the people. Sadly, however, many of the 'modern' tools are equally flawed
for exactly the same reason - very few people today do real design - they
just code away until something sort of works.

I'm concerned about crashes of any kind ( hardware, OS, code ), and your
selection order makes sense.  However , I have started one step earlier by
selecting BBB as the hardware, and that somewhat limits the choice of OS
which further limits the choice of language.

I'm very impressed with the level of advice I've been getting in this
discussion, and I"m sure it will eventually help me make the right choice.

thanks again
richard