This is a really interesting thread, I haven't learned so much so quickly
in awhile!

Hi Chilli

I am also in a position where I'm developing a BBB with a touchscreen. I
chose python. I hardly ever used python previous to this project and
usually choose node.js or ruby which I know pretty deeply through years of
web development experience.

I chose python because
* it has great support for the serial port which I needed fine control over
(node-serialport failed, it was my first attempt, I was sad about this
because I have to later refactor my python code in a "tickless" or
event-driven style when I have time -- I would have "got this for free" if
I had been able to use Node.js. Also with Node.js, if my project is a
success, I can find an abundance of coders that can wield it, but same can
be said for python)
* it has a fine webserver built in, cherrypy, this is serving my HTML and
Javascript for the "kiosk"
* it has a fine websockets library, ws4py, which provides the connection
between the python and the kiosk (which uses Chromium's HTML5 WebSocket)

So far this working very well for me as my screen is doing normal things,
nothing crazy to require OpenGL or SDL or things like that which are more
foreign to me. My kiosk is using the following libraries:

* Backbone.js (for its minimalism and modularity, although I tend not to
use this anymore in "normal" web app development [I tend to write normal
web apps in Meteor these days])

In your case you could easily do something like this and the protocol you
develop on the websocket wire (or a superset therein) can be (re)used for
non-local connections. The same HTML/JS can be reused (and extended) for
those non-local connections.

best regards,
keyvan