Robert, those beagleboard XM(s) you talked about a year or more ago that
take pictures etc, and run off an SD card have been going how long ? I only
mention this so everyone else can get an idea of how long a read only
system can last. They also run Debian ?

@ Everyone else

Another way that you could fix the media write issue would be to load your
rootfs from network or USB. Granted, this will use more power, and is far
more elaborate. So not really for everyone.