>> Just the big difference between the 4gb/2gb "lxde" images and the 2gb
>> "console" image is:
>>
>> lxde = g_multi
>> console = g_ether
>>
>> where as g_ether doesn't work as nicely as g_multi, but i do get
>> usb0/ethX link to show up on my debian workstation.
>
>   hmmmm ... doesn't work on my fedora rawhide system, so i can at
> least look around to see why not, figure out what's missing. no
> technical reason g_ether shouldn't work here.
>
>> The only way to "properly" switch the console back to using g_multi
>> correcly, would be to add the extra 100Mb fat partition (which the
>> lxde images have by default).  But the point of the console, was
>> something small users can build off of, so that would be a waste..
>
>   ok, i *know* i'm going to regret asking this, but i'm not at my dev
> host right now so i'll ask ... why would "properly" switching console
> back to using g_multi require the re-introduction of the FAT partition
> (which i know you like to avoid). why does g_multi depend on that FAT
> partition?

Yeah, it doesn't depend on "FAT" it just requires a partition..
However if that partition = root partition, in testing we found it
would randomly corrupt things on the root partition.

So it just needs a secondary non-mounted partition.. So to just
properly use g_multi, i'd be forced to waste space on a 2nd partition
in the console's "case"..

I think the better solution is just to figure out why g_ether doesn't
work like g_multi. ;)

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/