On Fri, 3 Apr 2015, Robert Nelson wrote:

> >> Yeah, it doesn't depend on "FAT" it just requires a partition..
> >> However if that partition = root partition, in testing we found it
> >> would randomly corrupt things on the root partition.
> >>
> >> So it just needs a secondary non-mounted partition.. So to just
> >> properly use g_multi, i'd be forced to waste space on a 2nd
> >> partition in the console's "case"..
> >
> >   um ... what? that's just a bit disturbing, i was unaware of that. so
> > there's no *actual* necessity for a second partition for g_multi, it's
> > just to avoid this issue.
> >
> >> I think the better solution is just to figure out why g_ether
> >> doesn't work like g_multi. ;)
> >
> >   i agree, i'll dig into that this weekend unless someone solves it
> > first.
>
> That would be awesome if you had just a free moment, I've gone bald
> scratching my head on this issue. ;)
>
> So far, I've narrowed one of the issues down to "CONFIG_USB_ETH_EEM"
> which i've now globally disabled...
>
> Here's how i modprobe the g_multi/g_ether drivers...
>
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L89

  ok, just so i understand what i want to look at this weekend, let me
make sure i understand the terrain here.

  if i read you correctly, you can connect your console image (which
uses g_ether) to a debian box via USB, and you get networking
automatically, correct? that would be the basic usb0 interface on the
BBB, and 192.168.7.[12], is that right? because if i do exactly the
same thing on my fedora rawhide box (console image), i *don't* get
networking, which suggests some deficiency on the fedora side.

  on the other hand, plugging in the g_multi-based lxde image the same
way on my fedora box works just fine.

  so given some time this weekend, my goal would be to try to identify
why USB networking using g_ether works with debian but fails with
fedora. do i have that right?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca