You don't have to short anything out for what he is describing to happen.

The BBB-Sitara uses a field of 100K resistors, which are either pull-ups or
pull-downs
on 15 different lines, pinned out from P8-31 through P8-46, which instructs
it how to boot.

Any load on any of these pins, of lower than several hundred thousand Ohms,
can derail the boot process.

You can only load those pins after the Sitara has completed booting.

BBB System Reference Manual, Version C1, page 106.

--- Graham

==