Hi Matthijs,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015, at 03:10 AM, Matthijs van Duin wrote:
> The PMIC is not the problem here, it properly shuts down all DCDC and LDO
> supplies, and requires no configuration other than voltage adjustments
> when
> desired, and setting the OFF bit before using the RTC to request
> shutdown.
> ("SLEEP state" of the PMIC, aka "RTC-only sleep", is not supported since
> vdds was moved from LDO3 to LDO1 in rev A6A.)
>
> The issue is the interconnection of the 3v3a and 3v3b power domains,
> resulting in significant leakage current between them (e.g. via
> protection
> diodes) whenever one is powered while the other is not. The 3v3b -> 3v3a
> leakage was of course exactly the reason for moving the enable-signal of
> the 3v3b regulator (U4) from 3v3aux (LDO2) to 3v3a. However, while this
> resolved the issue at boot, it did not resolve it at shutdown when
> running
> on dc power, and made it far worse when running on battery.
>
> The problem is that when the 3v3a supply (LDO4) is disabled, the 3v3b
> regulator remains enabled until 3v3a drops below the threshold voltage of
> the enable-input of U4, which is far below 3.3V (specified to be
> somewhere
> between 0.4V (at 25 ͏°C) and 2V). As a result, current will start to flow
> from 3v3b to 3v3a, and apparently enough current to keep it logic-high in
> the opinion of the 3v3b-regulator (despite the ~375 ohm discharge
> resistor
> the PMIC applies when LDO4 is disabled!).
>
> Thus, once turned on, the 3v3b regulator manages to keep itself enabled
> indefinitely as long as it is supplied from SYS_5V. When entering
> off-state, the PMIC automatically connects SYS to battery power rather
> than
> DC- or USB-supply. If there's no battery, then the capacitors on SYS will
> drain pretty fast hence the 3v3b shutdown is not delayed much. If there's
> battery, then you're pretty screwed.
>
> It is very important to note that this issue is not merely one of battery
> lifetime; this leakage current may *damage the processor*.
>
> To illustrate all this, let's stare at some pretty pictures.
>
> Here's a capture of various power terminals during boot and shutdown
> while
> on DC power (click to zoom):
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aWEH_7JAEbw/VUBn8aVmaoI/AAAAAAAAACE/5RFxipIqG_E/s1600/dc.png>
>
> I've marked the PMIC sequencer "strobes" with vertical dashed lines,
> partially cut away when irrelevant or visually interfering with the
> signal
> plots. Unless noted otherwise, the interval between strobes is 1 ms.
>
> As I mentioned, in off-state SYS is tied to BAT, and when DC-powered they
> hover around 1V for some reason (they'll drop if you try to drain power
> from either, but once you stop they bounce back to 1V). All regulated
> supplies are off. Once the PMIC has detected a wakeup event, it connects
> [...]

You seem to be talking about the BBB, correct?
My initial work was on BBW back in 2012 (prior to BBB release).

It sounds like BBB has similar issues to BBW with running on battery but
that the issues are slightly different.

I'm not subscribed to this list any longer so please keep me in CC.
Thanks!
-Andrew