On Wed, Apr 29, 2015, at 01:07 PM, Matthijs van Duin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 29 April 2015 17:30:14 UTC+2, Matthijs van Duin wrote:
> >
> > Your original question is actually very easy to answer
> >

> I posted a bit too hastily since I missed the second half of your
> original
> post.
>
> If external hardware unconditionally drives or pulls up to 3V3EXP (in
> case
> of BBW) or 3V3B (in case of BBB) then at shutdown they are indeed
> applying
> power to IOs while the corresponding power domain has already been shut
> down, which is not allowed.
>
> The BBB SRM (but not the BBW SRM) warns that "no pins are to be driven
> until after the sys_reset line goes high" but this statement isn't quite
> right since it only addresses boot and not shutdown (it should say
> "unless
> the sys_reset line is high") and pull-ups can also cause problems.
> Powering
> processor IO banks and attached hardware using separate supply lines is
> tricky to get right, all versions of beaglebones get it wrong, and it was
> wrong to dump responsibility for these issues onto CAPE developers by
> putting a statement like that in the SRM. The mandate given in the SRM is
> actually also violated by on-board peripherals of the BBB, for example by
> the UART level shifter.
>
> I think the best solution would have been to have the regulator
> controlled
> by the PMIC_PGOOD output which also controls the power-on-reset input of
> the AM335x, but this too would need to be carefully analyzed to verify it
> doesn't cause issues.

If you take a BBW and cut the trace coming from U8 pin 5 (the LDO enable
line) and then wire U8 pin 5 to the PWR_LED net on page 2 of the
schematic, then the U8 LDO will shutdown correctly when on battery.
This fix was incorporated into BBB but apparently there are other
problems, too.

This is the only mod required to fix my original problem.  No fancy
software needed.

Thanks,
Andrew