I can tell you that DR Molloy's video while slightly outdated for the BBB
works fine. I set this up myself using Lubuntu 14.10, and the cross gcc
tools from the APT repo's "just work". However, having had many years of
experience with Debian, and a few ( off and on ) with Ubuntu, and usually
end up  getting bitten by Ubuntu in the long run.

I think i can offer you better advice though. Instead of dual booting,
perhaps get, install, use virtualbox, until you figure things out for
yourself. This is to say, play with ubuntu in a virtual machine, until
you're comfortable enough to make this call on your own. In this scenario,
you could also instal Debian command line only in a virtual machine. I did
this for about a year myself, until getting a busted eeepc, which i
promptly fixed well enough to work as a headless debian development
workstation. Prior to that, I also used a dual boot setup, but was Win7 x64
and Debian 7 i386. I found this inconvenient though, and wound up just
using a virtual machine.