> *There are indeed two camps - the bleeding edge that loves change and the
> trailing edge that wants stability.  God bless both camps as they depend on
> each other for a viable ecosystem.*

To be clear: The camp I'm in understands that the beaglebone was never
meant to be used in a commercial product. This has been stated on these
groups more than a couple times. By those who are part of beagleboard.org.

So when a person, or persons approaches a discussion from the commercial
angle, I feel that part of the discussion is moot. At least on these groups.

Now the teacher / student perspective I think is more reasonable. After all
if memory serves correctly, this was one of beagelboard.org's initial
goals. To teach. However, one also needs to understand. The software
community behind the hardware does not get paid by beaglebord.org, or the
end user to create, improve, or otherwise keep the same software running on
*this* board indefinitely. Or even at all. Now perhaps there are third
party companies who do allow, or even pay employees to work in this
capacity. But they are under no obligation to do so. Such is open source
software . . .

However, we as hobbyists, or even professionals are allowed to contribute
back to the community. We are even allowed to build our own boards, based
on the open sourced hardware. For commercial applications, or whatever. By
doing so though, we accept full responsibility for our creation. As it
should be.

As for the longevity of the AM355x . . . Let us worry about that 7-8 years
from now . . .