There is a battery input on the pmmc that you can use, it is for a
single cell 3.7v Li battery. or more in parallel if you need more
holding time.
one battery will give you plenty of time for a orderly shutdown
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slvsb64g/slvsb64g.pdf
ref page 2 of the BBB schematic upper right part of page
There is a battery cape that seems to do what you want
http://andicelabs.com/beaglebone-powercape/
this board does not use the pmic power pins