> *Hi all,*
>
> *My original reasoning behind the Power Cape was to get a 5V supply with a
> low quiescent "off" current and that could restart the BeagleBone on a
> scheduled timeout or external event.  Using a 5V supply instead of the
> PMIC's battery interface also allows for using USB devices.  The battery
> charger was added after the first prototype.*
>
> *As David pointed out, the INA219 allows system software to monitor the
> battery voltage & current and take appropriate action.  DC "power good"
> from the charger is also available and can trigger power-up allowing the
> BeagleBone to restart when power is restored.  The micro-controller does a
> few other things like RTC, WDTs, power-up retries, and holding reset during
> power-up intended to make the system more reliable for remote operation.
> The firmware is on Github if you need to customize behavior.*

All this can be done without using a cape. Whats more, using a single
msp430g2553, and a few GPIO's you can have all of that, plus a watchdog
reset, and whatever else you can dream up.

So, I suppose the cape is just a matter of convenience. Which, there is
nothing wrong with that, and I've been accused many a time of coming up
with elaborate / extravagant solutions. When a simpler / easier one will do
. . .