usb0_vbus on the processor is an analog input to a comparator.
page 80 of the processor ref manual says - USB0_VBUS (7) Supply voltage
for USB VBUS comparator input
i do not see it saying supplies any voltage to the circuit anywhere in
the PDF.
I can see the software causing the issue if there is some kind of noise
in the line.
maybe instead of a hard ground which would cause headaches if one was to
plug a usb power connector to the BBB
a pulldown of 10k on the line to keep it low.
One would need to test this idea out.

Gerald might have a comment ?