If I understand what you're asking here correctly. Install is not a command
really. make would be the command, and install would be similar to a
command flag / switch. Used together with other "things" like this.

./configure
make clean
make
make install

typically when working with make what this does is

   - configure the source, and compiler options.
   - remove any preexisting object, and executable files.
   - compiles the code with flags / options defined in a make file.
   - copies the needed executable(s), object files, and perhaps
   configuration files where they belong.