Sound like you have it under control then. Glad you got it working. A
couple of side notes . . .

I use Debian Wheezy i386 ( 32bit ) for all my dev machines for the
beaglebone. Have had great success with all. Virtual machine, or real.
However, I do not use X at all. Just a basic command line interface.

Also I did not think through what I was saying about sshfs . . . with
sshfs, you mount a remote file system, so technically, you *could* mount
the home directory in your virtual machine, and run tools like dd, bmap, or
whatever on the file - remotely. It might be a little slower, but it should
work.

Good luck Phil !