> *I'm not attacking you, William, I'm asking for clarification. It doesn't
> make any sense to me that apt-get update wouldn't write its results to
> disk.*
>
> * You don't need to apt-get update all the time, if it writes its results
> to disk. But if it doesn't, and you forget to next time you apt-get
> install, you run the risk of downgrading something you have installed (or
> otherwise corrupting it), don't you?*

Not attacking you either Rick, but here is the point. The official images
come with this enabled. So whether you, I, or anyone else cares, it's
already in there. The apt sources cache is either completely in RAM, with a
default cache set at build time, or it is a minimal gzipped archive.
Technically, no you do not *have* to run apt-get update _every_single_time_
you go to use APT, but generally it is a good idea. All it takes is an
update in one repo or another( depending ), and apt-get install, apt-get
upgrade, etc will fail, barfing out some message similar to E: could not
locate x.y.z.

Either way, the blog was meant for people who are new to Beaglebone, or
Linux development in general. If you're good with Debian(Linux), you
probably do not need my guides.

Passed that, many people are worried about writing to flash too much, and
I'm one of them. I've been using an A5A for gaining on 3 years now, with no
flash problems, and that includes the Sony class 10 SDHC card that we
bought for it back then. As it is, I make enough mistakes of writing to
flash, accidentally, to worry about all the compiling, apt-get installing,
etc. This is also why one of my first blog posts was on how to setup NFS
shares, and NFS root for the Beaglebone. Not to mention I compile often,
and a lot. Granted, compiling over an NFS share *is* slower, but I can live
with that. But it's also why I have a cross system for the larger projects,
or is why I wrote another blog on how to setup a USB rootfs . . .

I was also a bit "quick" this morning . . . which is how I normally am for
the first few hours after waking up. Still, if I write something in my blog
posts, and you do not get it. Don't worry so much about it. It was probably
not meant for you, or other advanced users. It was meant to keep people,
who are new out of "trouble", with minimal explanation required from me.