On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:
> My problem is that I don't understand how putting the apt cache in RAM is
> beneficial if what you're trying to do is avoid flash writes. If you're
> updating the cache, then you're also intending to install or upgrade
> software, which will write to flash. If it's in RAM and not persisted,
> forcing you to do an update each time you do an install or upgrade, how does
> this prevent writing to flash?

It's not in local ram, it's on disk...

When you run "apt-get update" a local cache database is created, this
database can become out of date.. Especially if your running
testing/unstable.  For stable (wheezy) it's not really an issue,
unless you have someone like me pushing kernel and bb.org package
updates to the repo.

For official images, i "clear" out this local apt cache, to 1: save
space, 2: it can be months out of date.. ;)

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/