Everyone is making the transition to PRU RemoteProc/RPMSG. Look at
samples/rpmsg for an example of how to communicate between Linux and PRU.
Instructions on how to build the 4.1 kernel:

https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-LinuxKernel

<https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-LinuxKernel>

Follow TI-BSP instructions.

Regards,