One thing that is interesting is greyhole, https://www.greyhole.net/, it is
a storage pool technology which leverages samba.  You connect as many
disparate sized drives as you like.  When you copy a file into the pool it
makes as many copies of the file across different disks as you have
configured.

The nice thing is that it you can pull a drive out of the pool and plug it
into another machine and just read the files from it unlike a drive from a
raid array.  There are some caveats, of course, the biggest ones being that
greyhole doesn't like lots of small files or rapidly changing files, so
don't have the download folder for torrent files in the greyhole pool.

Cheers
Lord Drachenblut

Cheers

Matthew "Lord Drachenblut" Williams