Small picture,  I've run x11VNC on my BBB briefly,  but I find ssh -X
actually works better,  I picked this tip up from one of the Machinekit
youTube videos.

I might change my tune if my host had to be Windows,  I'm currently helping
a friend get going so I'm in the process of installing cygwin on my only
Windows machine to find out.

Here are my notes from when I set up x11VNC on one of the Machinekit images:

-----------------------------------------------------VNC Set
Up-----------------------------------------------------------------

// Set up running machinekit using VNC
// probably best to do this to use the USB Ethernet gadget as WiFi and
wired Ethernet will be slower than the maximum USB2 speed.
// Download a VNC viewer, this one is popular on Windows:
http://www.uvnc.com/docs/uvnc-viewer.html
// lots of info about running it:
http://www.uvnc.com/docs/uvnc-viewer.html

// login to the BBB ssh 192.168.7.2 using putty, and do all this as normal
user (default:  machinekit)
// install X11 VNC server:
sudo apt-get install x11vnc

// start the server:
x11vnc -bg -o %HOME/.x11vnc.log.%VNCDISPLAY -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
-forever
// note the assigned port, usually 5900

//Start your VNC viewer and connect by putting 192.168.7.2:5900 (or
whatever port the server started on)
// The AUTO mode is the best starting point.
// I did it on Linux using a different viewer client and performance
seemed  better than with the local HDMI display and keyboard/mouse.
// This is probably the way to go forward.  (I used Gnome Remote Desktop
Viewer)

// to start the server automatically after bootup:
// create a shell script to start the server, Don't do this as root! use
the normal user login (default: machinekit)
nano startVNCserver.sh
// paste in these lines:
#!/bin/bash
/bin/sleep 30
/usr/bin/x11vnc -bg -o %HOME/.x11vnc.log.%VNCDISPLAY -auth
/var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -forever

// exit nano and make the script executable with:
chmod a+x startVNCserver.sh

// start the server on bootup
crontab -e
// and add the following at the end of the file:
@reboot /home/machinekit/startVNCserver.sh
// exit nano and save the normal way

This was with a Machinekit image form something like 2015-04 so I apologize
in advance if things have changed that make this totally wrong.
I'm not sure how robust my script to start it from a crontab is, the sleep
30 is adhoc, as the @reboot seems to run before all the needed system
pieces have finished their startup, but it seemed to work for me before I
decided ssh -X was a better way to go.