> *The code came from Derek Molloy's Exploring Beaglebone -Tools and
> Techniques Chapter 9 page 362 Listing 9-10. *

Yeah, I own the book too, but to be honest, I've only read a couple pages.
Mostly because most of the material is remedial for me. I've been
programming since the early 90's, and that is not to say that I know
everything. Because I don't. But I have enough development experience that
it usually does not take me much to wrap my head around many concepts. A
couple days toying around with the code usually.

*Regarding a decent book on how to spidev have you any recommendations? *

No but I can tell you what I'd do in your shoes. I'd google, and experiment
with what I find. Then continue toying with my own code until I found
something that works for me. This process for me usually takes between 2
days, and a week for most things.

*I am the first to admit I am a novice and it goes without saying that we
> all started somewhere as frustrating as that is. So to recap add code to
> trace code? That sounds like a plan. All aside the real question on my mind
> is that I would like to rule out that there is not something else going on
> here with the device tree overlays that I would not be aware of? It would
> be helpful at this end if a guy knew where to look for updates (i.e. the
> source) and had a listing of what they were or how they might affect things
> downstream. I know how ridiculous that must sound in that Linux is an open
> source community backed by volunteers nonetheless I am not clear on the
> structure on how things come together and as such I find it utterly amazing
> that things work. I understand that Robert has had a big hand in it and
> there are many others, but I am not sure on how it all comes together.
> Thanks for the input no offense taken.*

Here is what I think, and pretty much I've stated it already. I think
you're inexperienced, and you need some time working with something that
works. So here is what I'd suggest. Forget about Ubuntu for now, and use
exactly what DR Molloy used in his book, which if I recall correctly was
Debian wheezy. Exactly the same kernel however probably will not be
necessary.

The point of using Debian and not Ubuntu is not what is about whats best,
or better, or all that OS / distro zealotry. Instead, it's about what's
best to set you up into a productive learning pattern. After which, when
you've learned enough about Linux, and the Linux programming API - Perhaps
you'll be able to switch to another distro. Or perhaps you'll come to find
that Debian is really where you want to be.

As for this specific community. I do not think anyone here who posts at
least semi regularly is above trying to help another person having issues.
However there is a point where "we" start feeling like we're doing too much
work for someone else, who really needs to learn these learning points on
their own. Mostly because they're basic learning points everyone has to
learn on their own to fully understand what's going on.

One key point: If you understood the Linux operating system better, you'd
realize that /dev/spidev* is a file that when having issues you just ls
/dev/ and see what shows up . . . which is very basic troubleshooting 101.

So it's not that I think you're stupid. It's that I think you're at where I
was 3 or so years ago when I first started with the BBB. Which was my
personal first experience with embedded Linux. But, I've also had Debian
experience going back since the early to mid 90's . . .