So libpruio looks like it wraps calls to interface with the GPIOs via the
PRU with Freebasic or C calls, yes?

We are committed to building this application in a language that is

1. High level and
2. Prevalent in the job market--we need to be able to find people who know
it reasonably well.

(also, developer cycles are a lot more expensive to us than processor
cycles. Actually, performance is not a  high priority for us.)

Python fits pretty well. Freebasic does not. C does not either, but I guess
I could use SWIG to generate an API for myself to use. That sounds doable,
but it doesn't sound like less trouble to me, more like exchanging one
difficulty for another.

You could add a SWIG interface file to libpruio so people could talk to it
in whatever language they wanted. That would make it a lot more attractive
to a lot more developers, myself included...

http://www.swig.org/