William,
No, I did not know about writing to the tmpfs directory. That's a great idea. I don't know how to do it so will search for info on it.

I decided that I don't need to write these particular files but can simply save the data to RAM. However, I will need to write a log file to a USB memory stick, so the tmpfs directory should fit the bill exactly to temporarily save the data before writing to USB.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.
John
johnbakeree.blogspot.com