Thanks All for the help and suggestions on Try/Catch and other. More evidence of the especially helpful folk on the Beagleboard users forum.
John

On 4/14/2016 4:47 PM, William Hermans wrote:

    /Yes indeed. Python 2.7 in the Debian 3.8.13 bone50 on my BBB does
    flag the error, telling me that *w* is not correct. /
    /
    /
    /I'm not sure as I haven't gone back to my old code to try it
    again, but I suspect my use of Try/Except sort of hid the error,
    just telling me that the Try failed and not telling me exactly
    what the error was and I simply assumed the error was in the name
    or path in the open command. Clearly I should have just used the
    open command outside of the Try/Except and then an error message
    would have popped up telling me that the *w *was incorrect.
    Hopefully I have learned from this, first to double-check the
    syntax and second to dig a little to find out why the open command
    (or other command) didn't work. I continue to be embarrassed at
    this dumb mistake but I am going on to probably make other
    mistakes. However, my code is working perfectly, GUI and all,
    including writing a logfile to the eMMC. /

    /Thanks for everyone's help. I certainly needed it./

Usually, with try / catch blocks, you're given and error object back, from which you *can* print out the error.message text / character object. So unless you had something like . .

try{
. . .
} catch(e){
  print(e.message);
}

You were using the try catch block incorrectly ;)