> *Thanks All for the help and suggestions on Try/Catch and other. More
> evidence of the especially helpful folk on the Beagleboard users forum.*
> * John*

No problem John, and hopefully we weren't too obvious. The key point one
should take away from this whole discussion though is: Whenever in code
*something* could fail, it needs to be tested for. Then if you're
debugging, you should at minimum implement a method to print out that
something failed, and why. In C, this is often referred to as printf()
debugging, and actually can be used to trouble shoot most program errors.

In the case where you're forced to use try / catch blocks however. Remove
these try  / catch blocks when done debugging *IF* you can. Some cases, in
some languages, you're all but forced to use try / catch blocks for things
such as checking if a network connection exists. Anything really, that your
application may need, but may not necessarily be active at any given point
in time - While your application is running.

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 12:49 PM, John Baker <johnba...@ieee.org> wrote:

> Thanks All for the help and suggestions on Try/Catch and other. More
> evidence of the especially helpful folk on the Beagleboard users forum.
> John
>

> On 4/14/2016 4:47 PM, William Hermans wrote:
>
> *Yes indeed. Python 2.7 in the Debian 3.8.13 bone50 on my BBB does flag
>> the error, telling me that w is not correct. *
>>
>> *I'm not sure as I haven't gone back to my old code to try it again, but
>> I suspect my use of Try/Except sort of hid the error, just telling me that
>> the Try failed and not telling me exactly what the error was and I simply
>> assumed the error was in the name or path in the open command. Clearly I
>> should have just used the open command outside of the Try/Except and then
>> an error message would have popped up telling me that the w was incorrect.
>> Hopefully I have learned from this, first to double-check the syntax and
>> second to dig a little to find out why the open command (or other command)
>> didn't work. I continue to be embarrassed at this dumb mistake but I am
>> going on to probably make other mistakes. However, my code is working
>> perfectly, GUI and all, including writing a logfile to the eMMC. *
>>
> *Thanks for everyone's help. I certainly needed it.*
>
> Usually, with try / catch blocks, you're given and error object back, from
> which you *can* print out the error.message text / character object. So
> unless you had something like . .
>
> try{
> . . .
> } catch(e){
>   print(e.message);
> }
>
> You were using the try catch block incorrectly ;)
>

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 4:40 PM, John Baker <bakerengineerin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes indeed. Python 2.7 in the Debian 3.8.13 bone50 on my BBB does flag
>> the error, telling me that *w* is not correct.
>>
>> I'm not sure as I haven't gone back to my old code to try it again, but I
>> suspect my use of Try/Except sort of hid the error, just telling me that
>> the Try failed and not telling me exactly what the error was and I simply
>> assumed the error was in the name or path in the open command. Clearly I
>> should have just used the open command outside of the Try/Except and then
>> an error message would have popped up telling me that the *w *was
>> incorrect. Hopefully I have learned from this, first to double-check the
>> syntax and second to dig a little to find out why the open command (or
>> other command) didn't work. I continue to be embarrassed at this dumb
>> mistake but I am going on to probably make other mistakes. However, my code
>> is working perfectly, GUI and all, including writing a logfile to the eMMC.
>> Thanks for everyone's help. I certainly needed it.
>> John
>>
>> On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 2:39:15 PM UTC-7, Paul Wolfson wrote:
>>>
>>> modeString = "w"
>>> fileNameString = "out.txt"
>>> f = open(fileNameString, modeString)
>>> f.write("This is a test for text output.")