Here is the problem with that. You use a different kernel to me and you don’t
like to use systemd. Hence I will explain how to get this working, but you are
going to have to do the coding and testing. To start with, which kernel are you
using?

>From the TPS65217 datasheet the ACI bit in the INT register (0x02) will be a 1
>if the power status changed (either power on or power fail). The state of the
>power is in the status register (0xA) which is 0 for no power and 1 for power
>in valid range. So looking at the Interrupt routing, both events are reported.
>I would recommend changing the input key to something different to KEY_POWER
>because we do not want to modify the pwr button behavior.

if (int_reg & TPS65217_INT_ACI) {
        /* Handle AC power status change */
        dev_dbg(tps->dev, "AC power status change\n");
        /* Press KEY_POWER when AC not present */
        input_report_key(tps->pwr_but, KEY_POWER,
                        ~status_reg & TPS65217_STATUS_ACPWR);
        input_sync(tps->pwr_but);
}

You might have to change input_report_key to input_report_switch as I’m not
sure if we can extract the status from EV_KEY.
Using udev, the input key is linked to this systemd service poweroff.target

===
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.

[Unit]
Description=Power-Off
Documentation=man:systemd.special(7)
DefaultDependencies=no
Requires=systemd-poweroff.service
After=systemd-poweroff.service
AllowIsolate=yes

[Install]
Alias=ctrl-alt-del.target
===

Which in turn runs the systemd-poweroff.service

===
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.

[Unit]
Description=Power-Off
Documentation=man:systemd-halt.service(8)
DefaultDependencies=no
Requires=shutdown.target umount.target final.target
After=shutdown.target umount.target final.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/bin/systemctl --force poweroff
===

Which powers down the board.

So here is what you need to do. When you receive a input key assigned to
AC_Power, with a status of fail, start a daemon with a timer. If the timer
expires, do the same systemctl poweroff or shutdown -h now. If you get a input
key for AC_Power with status of power_good before the timer expires, either
kill the daemon or cancel the timer.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John