Hey all,

I did a search - maybe someone is better at it than I am and could help
connect me to an explanation/solution? Anyway, here's what has happened:

I got my board in the mail yesterday and connected it to my new MacBook Pro
Retina (running OSX 10.11.3). I was able to ssh over USB after installing
the included drivers and write/run code on the board. I didn't write
anything special, just practiced loading a python example to the board.

I didn't know that pulling the USB cable without turning the board off via
the Power button could corrupt the eMMC onboard. I understand I should have
read the manual, but I think this information needs to be included on any
"quick start" info provided to beginners. (If they tell you how to turn it
on, shouldn't they tell you how to safely turn it off?) I have a lot of
experience with Arduino and mistakenly thought that I could unplug the
BeagleBone from power without any other shutdown steps.

So now, the board powers on and the user LEDs flash, and the board shows up
as an external storage device on my laptop. But the IP address has changed
to 198.168.7.1, and any attempts to ssh either result in a timeout or
require password authentication. And the default passwords provided on
Adafruit and other places are not working.

So, my questions are:
• How do I know if I've corrupted the data in the eMMC? Will the board act
normally but not connect?
• If I can't ssh via USB, will I be able to do so via ethernet, or should I
just start over/do a restore of Angstrom?
• Is Angstrom stiil the default distro, or are the boards shipping with
Debian now?
• Is this possibly an El Capitan issue? I read a little about that, but I
downloaded and installed a HoRNDIS version that was supposed to fix the
issue.

Thanks for your help - I'm really looking forward to learning how to use
this board and become part of the community. I build interactive interfaces
for musical performance and am excited about the possibilities offered
here.

- Nate

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/bcdcae01-ee98-4900-b795-f5b372ded41f%40googlegroups.com.