> *Hey William,*
>
> *Yes, that's all very clear in hindsight. I do wish that I had looked up
> how to turn it off properly before I made the mistake. *
>
> *Thank you for the clarification on the kernel. It's hard to find
> up-to-date info.*
>
> *-Nate*

Ok, so now that we have that clear ;) hehe.

You have to treat this like you would any other computer. Except perhaps
the beaglebone is more fragile. Due to hardware costs, and the fact that
the software, that is specific to the beaglebone is written by various
members of the community. Who by the way do not get paid to do that.

But you would shut down the BBB the same way you would shutdown your laptop
from the command line.

$ sudo shutdown now -h

*or*

$ sudo halt

There is also a button closest to the ethernet jack which triggers an NMI
through the PMIC, which should signal the processor to cleaning shut down
linux. The button furthest from the ethernet jack on the same side ( left )
if I remember correctly is the reset button. So make sure not to press that
while the OS is running either. The effect would be similar to pulling the
power.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORrLNzJHdR3ah02jOPv0u5RH%3DtsXsjwXoqW_nHOcg2TKEw%40mail.gmail.com.