Hi Torben, I'm puzzled by the extra steps with the stubs.h and err.h
include files.
I did not have to do this.

Which distribution are you using and which kernel is installed?

I recommend creating these two simple scripts:
This one I call prumodin:

#!/bin/bash
insmod /lib/modules/4.1.18-ti-r53/kernel/drivers/remoteproc/pru_rproc.ko

This one I call prumodout:

#!/bin/bash
rmmod -f /lib/modules/4.1.18-ti-r53/kernel/drivers/remoteproc/pru_rproc.ko

Of course you will probably have to modify the paths to the kernel modules.
I have found the above is all that is required to re-start after modifying
and copying
the am335x-pruX-fw firmwares to /lib/firmware.  Copy new firmwares, then
prumodout and then prumodin
and the remoteproc loads the firmwares to the PRUs and starts them.  Other
modules like the rpmsg
get loaded automatically.

Regards,
Greg