Hi John-

I'm pretty sure there are some issues with these modules.  Very
experimental stuff.
Here's what happens.  I am using a TI based kernel compiled using Robert
Nelson's instructions.
There are 4 modules involved:

root@beaglebone:/home/debian# lsmod | grep pru
rpmsg_pru               4650  0
virtio_rpmsg_bus       13251  1 rpmsg_pru
pru_rproc              10937  2
pruss                  14469  1 pru_rproc

So rpmsg_pru has 0 dependencies, so remove that one first:

modprobe -r rpmsg_pru

Seems to have worked.  Now look at the modules again:

root@beaglebone:/home/debian# lsmod | grep pru
pru_rproc              10937  1
pruss                  14469  1 pru_rproc

So the virtio_rpmsg_bus got removed in the same command.
Now try to get the remaining modules removed:

root@beaglebone:/home/debian# modprobe -r pru_rproc
modprobe: FATAL: Module pru_rproc is in use.

Ok, try to remove the other one:
root@beaglebone:/home/debian# modprobe -r pruss
modprobe: FATAL: Module pruss is in use.

So that is why I am forcing them out.  So far, I have not seen any ill
effects.
I've been working on a PRU project which pulls in data from an ADC.  I've
probably
force removed the modules and then reinserted them 50 times in a single
session
and nothing crashed that I could detect.  I was able to continue to develop
code without issue.

Now my code is relatively simple and is not interacting with the ARM host
significantly yet.
I'll keep your note of caution in mind if I start to see any unusual
behavior.

Regards,
Greg

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/e212a301-c14f-4c21-8f86-437589478deb%40googlegroups.com.