Oh, and additionally. The circuit needs to be isolated when the board
powers on / off. This is where my electronics knowledge will fail me, but
if that pin is not isolated at boot, and it's externally powered. You may
have damaged the pin . . . also you're powering your circuit from what
looks like P9.5, which is 5V, the gpio pins are only 3v3 tolerant.

Additionally, the GPIO pins can only source / sink so much current, For
many, this is only 6mA or less, where a few are 8mA. But again, my
electronics knowledge would fail me here in knowing exactly what's going on
with your circuit.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORo3b8T%2B1Mu5ANwke8ca5ua1gLXbgGL4GR8uEbmecqBDpg%40mail.gmail.com.