Hello,

I am developing a ROS project and I am using Ubuntu 16.04.1 on Beaglebone
Black with 4.4.23-ti-r51 kernel.
I have a setup which uses the following pins:

Analog: P9_40, P9_39, P9_38, P9_37, P9_36
PWM: P9_16, P8_13
UART2, UART4 ,
GPIO: P9_41

In /boot/uEnv.txt I only have the line cape_universal=enable

and in /etc/default/capemgr
CAPE=cape-universaln

as a result cat /sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots command reports:
 0: PF----  -1
 1: PF----  -1
 2: PF----  -1
 3: PF----  -1
 4: P-O-L-   0 Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,cape-universaln

I am using Adafruit_BBIO library to control PWM and ADC and UART.

With the above settings ADC and PWM works fine, but not UART...
Although /dev/ttyO2 and /dev/ttyO4 are present it doesn't work.

If I, on the other hand, if I add on /boot/uEnc.txt the following
cape_enable=bone_capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART2,BB-UART4,BB-PWM1,BB-PWM2

Then UART ports are fine, but PWM has the following error.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/ubuntu/catkin_ws/src/robot_core/scripts/wheel_controller.py",
line 17, in <module>
    PWM.start(LEFT_MOTOR_PIN, PWM_DUTY_CYCLE, PWM_NEUTRAL_FREQUENCY, 1)
RuntimeError: Problem with the cape manager

I am having trouble understanding dts files in order to create my own
overlay.
Also when i tried to run config-pin i get command not found
and with sudo sh -c "echo 'BB-UART2' >
/sys/devices/platform/bone_capemgr/slots" i get sh: echo: I/O-error

i am a bit confused!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/801a926d-6f4f-416f-a848-9567d0547856%40googlegroups.com.