> Yes WL18xx does have a power save mode which is on by default. It can be
> disabled with
> echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/wlcore/sleep_auth

That seems to have made a difference, Iain.  My BBGW doesn't do it every
time, so I cannot yet say for certain, but so far today the 2 times the
BBGW boots up with those error messages and a non-working wlan0, I login
through the serial console interface, run that command, and everything then
starts working again.

The default value for /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/wlcore/sleep_auth
seems to be 2. I eventually found WL1271_PSM_ELP = 2 (power saving move,
extreme low power) in acx.h.  If anyone else is curious, the possible
values 0, 1, and 2 are defined as:

/* Active mode */
WL1271_PSM_CAM = 0,

/* Power save mode */