Thanks Robert! That solved the problem I have been having. The overlay
loaded and everything looks to be working. One follow up question I do have
is what is the proper way to load a custom overlay on startup? Is there a
way to enable multiple overlays as long as they don't try to use the same
pins?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/3a202d8a-10b0-418f-a954-c0d29844f7ef%40googlegroups.com.