Hey everyone so I took one step forward and one step back. With the last
bit of help from Robert I was able to properly disable the universal
overlay and load my own. It appears that my device overlay loads correctly.
When I went to test things today however I can't seem to get the
remote_proc to turn on by following the elinux example like last time. I
follow all of the steps. I get no errors, but nothing happens. I haven't
looked through the boot dmesg yet so it could be in there. Is there another
way to manually turn on the remote_proc?

On a different note after reading some of your comments I am a bit
confused. Is the device tree overlay the proper way to go about setting the
header pins to the PRU or not? Also is there a command line method to
working with the PRUs that would let me test the pins to ensure they are
working?

I tried compiling a simple c script to run the PRU but I keep getting the
error pruss/prussdrv.h: no such file or directory. Are the pruss files
something that needs to be included on my LIBRARY path or LD_LIBRARY path
or is it an extra package I need to download?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/fc7fbc39-afca-4b15-b646-18a7232d6a26%40googlegroups.com.