On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Bouni <bo...@owee.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have almost the same situation. I have a Beaglebone Green and the
> Waveshare RS485 CAN CAPE mentioned in the first post.
> In the near future I want to use RS485 to build a Modbus TCP to Modbus RTU
> Gateway to communicate with a central ventilation system in my house.
>
> What i found out so far is that the Waveshare cape can by default only
> receive or transmit, but not both because it has no way to switch the /RE
> and DE pins of the MAX485.
> But in my opinion the middle pin of the 485_RSE JMP Jumper header could be
> connected to a appropriate pin using a jumper wire.
>
> My problem at the moment is that i have no idea if the kernel shipped with
> the BeagleBone Green (3.8 something) is able to handle RS485, especially
> direction switching.
>
> I've read that I should use the omap-serial driver instead of the
> 8XXX-serial driver and that i have to apply some overlay stuff, but
> actually 'm completely lost.
> It would be very helpful if somebody could point out what steps i need to
> do in order to get RS485 working.

We bought a Logicsupply RS485 / CAN cape for a similar purpose. The CAN
device we were trying to communicate with was actually a Schneider AC
inverter, using a proprietary CANBUS protocol called "Xanbus"( Originally
Xantrex ).

Anyway, for your case, I'm wondering why you need RS485 / Modbus at all.
Considering the beaglebone has an ethernet port . . .I mean, you're
probably going to want to use Cat5e, or Cat6 anyway, right ?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqgRgUOqaPcOj%3DJ-4akOG2co35d-GGqB%2B4btLYuQNLM%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com.