Hi,

thanks for your answers!

I've searched the web yesterday in the evening for quite a long time and
stumbled up on this page:

http://inspire.logicsupply.com/2014/09/beaglebone-rs-485-communication.html

If I got it right, I can use the installed Kernel (Linux beaglebone
3.8.13-bone71.1) because as of  3.8.13-bone39 RS485 support is built into
the kernel.

I just did a quick test:

- The beaglebone is connected via USB to my laptop, I ssh into it over said
usb.
- I have a USB-RS485 adapter connected to my laptop as well
- both devices are connected with 2 wires (A&B)
- I've set the jumper to UART4, for both RX and TX
- I also connected the RSE pin to P9_15 which is GPIO48
- UART 4 was activated throug /boot/uEnv.txt
(cape_enable=capemgr.enable_partno=BB-UART4)

Using this python
script https://gist.github.com/Bouni/49a292798e88a7a0956c308b3c9d1190
(inspired by
http://inspire.logicsupply.com/2014/09/beaglebone-rs-485-communication.html),
I'm able to communicate over RS485. In my opinion i should be able to
complete my project with these preconditions.

@William: my ventilation system is completely passiva as far as i know. It
features a Modbus RTU server from which i can request information or send
new settings over Modbus RTU.
My Homeautomation system can only handle Modbus TCP. So my plan is to let
the BB run a Modbus TCP server which translates the TCP requests to RTU and
send them to the ventilation system.
The answers just go the other way round.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/9ba7093f-d5a7-4eab-9b96-6e22b6423595%40googlegroups.com.