William,

Thanks.

If your suggestion is that the speaker-test program itself is silencing the
hdmi output with some driver call....I'm really doubtful.  I hope you don't
mind me saying so.  For a couple of reasons, but mainly: The audio stops 10
minutes after boot time even if there is no audio process running at the
time.  For example, I can run speaker-test before 10min mark to prove audio
comes out right after boot.  Then turn off speaker-test before the 10min
mark, and run it after.  There is no audio.

Do I understand you correctly? That is, strace speaker-test?

...or maybe I should strace another process that maybe disabling sound.
 Guessing which one is the root question anyway.

John

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/49e4bbaa-0b7d-4e52-8b75-09f402c7db9d%40googlegroups.com.